[ZendTo] Unable to Upload large files

Brian Ott Brian.Ott at oicr.on.ca
Thu Mar 8 20:16:02 GMT 2012

Hey Jules!

We have done some testing on zendto and came across some issues, we
would appreciate any help you can provide. It seems we are not able to
upload large files around 4G. As explained below our test setup I
should also mention we got the same results by accessing the host
directly without any load balancers and only using one host.

Cheers!

Here is our setup:

(Names and IPs replaced from real ones)

We have our zendto setup on two servers (identical) running centos5. I
tried running Debian and Cento6 but as mentioned in earlier posts I
experienced issues while trying to modify php to large file uploads.

I follow the instructions on the website, nothing was done outside of
that.

Our two servers (zendto-www1 & zendto-ww2) have zendto placed on NFS,
and share the mount. We use MySQL as the database and its on another
host.

here are some of our php.ini settings:

post_max_size = 50000M
file_uploads = On
upload_tmp_dir = /nfs/zendto/zendto_files/incoming
upload_max_filesize = 50G
default_socket_timeout = 6000
max_execution_time = 12000     ; Maximum execution time of each
script, in seconds
max_input_time = 12000  ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend
parsing request data
memory_limit = 1000M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script may
consume (16MB)

The server itself has 4G of ram (each of them).

Problem
----------

Before we wanted to roll this out here into production our final step
was to do some testing, here is what we found.

- Uploading files under 2G works fine under all Browsers
- Upload/Download speed is a little slow, transferring from the box
  using SCP is almost double the speed.
- Uploading 2.5G-3G files fails on IE, Safari & Firefox.
- Chrome uploads 3G+ files fine in Linux but not Windows

What seems to happen is the following:

90% of the time for IE/Firefox users the connection gets reset after a
few seconds (maybe 30 seconds?) then takes them from verify.php to
dropoff.php. The user gets prompted with the popup saying "This page
is asking you to confirm that you want to leave etc" With two
selections of either "Leave Page" or "Stay on Page".

Leave page obviously takes them to dropoff.php with a "Connection
Reset" page and the file upload fails. If they choose "Stay on Page"
they stay on "verify.php" but nothing happens and the file never
uploads.

The other issue is for Chrome users on Windows, and sometimes on Linux
where at any percentage of a large file upload the page will have a
popup saying the page is not responding and if you want to "Kill it"
or "wait" if you select wait sometimes it will resume the upload till
complete. However we have had some tests where it did not on Windows
and just ended up having to be killed.

I can enable any logging required or provide any information in
private. We would really like your help with this as we do like this
product and want to roll it out into Production.

--
Brian Ott
Unix System Administrator

Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
MaRS Centre, South Tower
101 College Street, Suite 800
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 0A3

Telephone:	647-260-7977
Email:		brian.ott at oicr.on.ca
www.oicr.on.ca

This message and any attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies. Opinions, conclusions or other information contained in this message may not be that of the organization.