[ZendTo] php errors

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Wed Jun 13 02:37:12 BST 2012

Hello,

I decided to try out the zendto software specifically because I want the
imap authentication option (and it is working nicely).  I am installing
from the tarball on a debian sandbox, and since I do not find
instructions for installing from source, I am following the freeBSD
instructions at http://zend.to/freebsd.php and adapting as best I can to
my system.  I have opted to not use the .deb as I wish to have control
over where things get put.

I have come across several errors while playing with zendto.

Specifically:

*Fatal error: Call-time pass-by-reference has been removed
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/www/NSSDropoff.php on line 1431

The only two buttons that did not generate this error after a fresh
install are the system log and the unlock users buttons.  The pick-up
button reports the same problem on line 85 of the file called
pickup.php.  All other buttons result in a blank white page displaying
only the error.

I did some investigating, and it looks like this is due to php5.4
deprecating the call_time_pass_by_reference function.  I was able to
make the errors go away by removing the leading ampersand from the
variable names on the reported lines.  I am not clear on whether this is
introducing another as yet unseen problem, or if that is a legitimate
solution.

*Warning: strftime(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone
settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the
date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those
methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely
misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for
now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/NSSDropbox.php on line 926

I find this error reported by a number of files/lines.  I have set the
date.timezone in both /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
and /etc/php5/cli/php.ini, but it does not make this error go away.  I
have verified that my time zone is listed at
http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/timezones.america.php  This error comes up
on most pages, and even occasionally shows up in the progress bar.

My best guess is that this can be ignored since the error says the time
is being set to UTC, but I would rather not disable the reporting of
warnings as a way to get rid of it.

*I am also getting a number of notices.  Based on my experiences with
php, these are probably pretty safe to ignore, but I find several of
them reference variables that are set in the preferences.php file  For
example, when I click the pick-up button, I get the following messages:

Notice: Undefined variable: filename
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/NSSDropbox.php on line 1520

Notice: Undefined variable: claimID
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/NSSDropbox.php on line 1520

Notice: Undefined index: Action
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/NSSDropoff.php on line 345

Notice: Undefined index: claimID
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/NSSDropoff.php on line 828

Notice: Undefined index: claimID
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/NSSDropoff.php on line 828

Notice: Undefined property: NSSDropoff::$_maxBytesForFile
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/NSSDropoff.php on line 853

Notice: Undefined property: NSSDropoff::$_maxBytesForDropoff
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/NSSDropoff.php on line 854

Notice: Undefined property: NSSDropoff::$_retainDays
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/NSSDropoff.php on line 855

*When I send a request for a file by clicking the "Request a drop-off"
button, filling the details and clicking the "Send theRequest" button,
the "request code" is being displayed in notices as undefined indexes:
The instructions report the request code is "aim neon dime", and I get
the following notices:

Notice: Undefined index: senderOrganization
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/Req.php on line 138

Notice: Undefined index: aim
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/NSSDropbox.php on line 1421

Notice: Undefined index: neon
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/NSSDropbox.php on line 1421

Notice: Undefined index: dime
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/NSSDropbox.php on line 1421

Notice: Undefined variable: senderOrg
in /var/www/files.computerisms.info/lib/Req.php on line 198

I have gone through all the docs I could find both on the web site and
in the tarball.  I also tried to find some archives for this mailing
list, but I came up empty on that.  I have installed all the packages
listed in the ubuntu instructions, and looked through all the other
documentation for clues.

Might someone suggest the source of all these errors?

I also have another question; is it possible to set Zendto up to use a
foreign/non-local mail server?  If so, I would appreciate if someone
could point me at the documentation for that - I don't seem to find any.

Thoughts, advice, and suggestions are most welcome!

--
Bob Miller
867-334-7117 / 867-633-3760
bob at computerisms.ca