[ZendTo] Re: EU Cookies Directive

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Fri Apr 20 12:12:36 BST 2012

Okay, I've found the text backing up my previous statement.

In Article 5 paragraph 3 there are these weasel words:
"This shall not prevent any technical storage or access for the sole
purpose of carrying out or facilitating the transmission of a
communication over an electronic communications network, or as strictly
necessary in order to provide an information society service explicitly
requested by the subscriber or user."

As the user has chosen to go to a ZendTo website and logged in (or
otherwise accepted session cookies labelling their session), these
cookies are solely for the purpose of providing the service explicitly
requested by the user. Without them, nothing works at all. They aren't
used for anything else. That counts as "solely" in my book.

The document this is from is here:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32002L0058:EN:HTML
which is the new legislation.

So I am not intending to modify ZendTo at all, and would strongly
discourage anyone else from doing so.