[ZendTo] Re: Extra newlines and email headers

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Wed Sep 28 12:10:24 BST 2011

I released 4.06-2 last night for you, which replaces the end-of-line
sequence with the contact PHP_EOL which everyone appears to agree is the
right answer, as that will even work on Windows.

That is the only change in 4.06-2.

On 27/09/2011 18:31, Tony Fairbanks wrote:
> Hi Jules,
>
> There's a bug report here https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=15841 about
> PHP's mail() function and newlines. Since mail() doesn't talk directly
> to an SMTP server on UNIX but to the local sendmail program, the
> headers should be separated by the native line break. There are also
> quite a few people posting about similar problems on the PHP mail()
> page (for example
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php#100563) and that the
> native EOL marker should be used.
>
> I'm not sure why I'm the only one having this problem. The Postfix
> config is completely stock with the exception of a relayhost defined.
> Scientific Linux 6 is for all intents and purposes the same thing as
> Centos 6 - the SL people do a rebuild of the Red Hat source the same
> way the Centos people do.
>
> Other than this slight glitch, ZendTo is working out absolutely
> perfect for us.
>
>> Email lines should have \r\n at the end of them, and other people are
>> using Postfix and sendmail with my code with no problems at all.
>> So I would suspect something about your Postfix setup. No-one has ever
>> reported this problem, and I have never changed the way I generate email
>> messages.
>>
>> I don't know of anyone else who has used this particular distribution.
>>
>> Jules.
>>
>> On 27/09/2011 15:28, Tony Fairbanks wrote:
>> >/  Hi,
>> />/  I noticed that ZendTo is inserting double newlines after some email
>> />/  header fields, making portions of the header info show up in the message
>> />/  body. This causes problems, such as making "reply-to" not work.
>> />/
>> />/  The following chunk of code in lib/NSSDropbox.php originally had \r\n
>> />/  for the newline marker. By changing it to just \n the double newlines
>> />/  are removed.
>> />/
>> />/     // Add the From: and Reply-To: headers if they have been supplied.
>> />/        if ($fromAddr!="") {
>> />/          $headers = sprintf("From: %s\nReply-to: %s\n", $sender, $fromAddr).
>> />/                     $headers;
>> />/        }
>> />/
>> />/        // Add the MIME headrs for 8-bit UTF-8 encoding
>> />/        $headers .= "MIME-Version: 1.0\n";
>> />/        $headers .= "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed\n";
>> />/        $headers .= "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\n";
>> />/
>> />/
>> />/  This is with a fresh install of Scientific Linux 6.1 (RHEL clone) using
>> />/  Postfix, with ZendTo installed via the yum repository.
>> />/
>> />/  Thanks,
>> />/  Tony
>> />/
>> />/
> [...]

'Teach a man to reason, and he will think for a lifetime.' - Phil Plait