[ZendTo] Re: AD/LDAP Authentication Help

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Fri Mar 18 08:48:15 GMT 2011

On 17/03/2011 22:38, Craig Chambers wrote:
> Hi Jules,
>
> Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work. Still getting "Authentication
> Error: The username or password was incorrect." I am wondering if it
> is something more fundamental that is the problem. It appears that via
> SSL TLS does not work because my AD servers certificate isn't trusted
> even though I tried to add it to the trusted list. But I am not sure
> if that matters since I have SSL set to false. When set to false does
> it use Kerberos for authentication or does it just send authentication
> credentials in the clear?
If SSL is set to false it works exactly as it would normally, it just
sends everything in the clear.
If your AD doesn't have a proper certificate, then you will have all
sorts of nasty problems making things work. You really need a proper SSL
certificate.

> I also tried setting up users manually using the user management php
> scripts but when I try and run:
>
>     ~$ sudo /opt/zendto/bin/listusers.php
>     /opt/zendto/config/preferences.php
>

> I get the following message:
>
>     PHP Notice:  Undefined index: HTTPS in
>     /opt/zendto/lib/NSSDropbox.php on line 40
>     PHP Notice:  Undefined index: SERVER_NAME in
>     /opt/zendto/lib/NSSDropbox.php on line 40
>     PHP Notice:  Undefined index: REQUEST_URI in
>     /opt/zendto/lib/NSSDropbox.php on line 40

They are just "Notices" as it says, and they have no effect on the
execution of the code. You need to set the "error_reporting" option
correctly in your php.ini to stop these appearing.

> At this point I have spent about a solid week trying to figure this
> out and am about to throw in the towel as this is obviously above my
> (admittedly limited) abilities. I would to have this running for our
> office however so I am willing, if anyone has any other ideas or can
> help further I am all ears. In fact at this point, depending on the
> cost, I would be willing to pay someone to help me set this up. I can
> even set up a new VM with ssh and/or VNC credentials so that we are
> sure my mucking about hasn't created more problems that were there
> originally.
I will happily help you out. Without using SSL for your AD, the
credentials will still be encrypted from the end user to the ZendTo
server, they will just be plaintext from the ZendTo server to the AD
server. That may or may not be a problem for you. Clearly you have
something amiss with your AD's SSL certificate, so I would advise trying
to get it working without SSL first, to prove that everything else is right.

Also, I don't like the "LDAP at yourdomain.local" as the username, surely
just "ldap" should work okay as the user.

Jules.