[ZendTo] AD/LDAP Authentication Help

Craig Chambers craig at craigchambers.net
Tue Mar 8 23:34:29 GMT 2011

Hello,

I am having issues getting LDAP?AD authentication to work. I have read the
archives and they all mention using ldapsearch to test your settings but I
am not sure exactly how the ldapsearch strings match the fields in the
preferences.php file.

If I run the following ldapsearch, which seems to be the shortest string
that will return the expected results, (items in brackets are of course
substituted with valid information) :

> "ou=AllowedUsers,ou=Users,ou=MyBusiness,dc=<domain>,dc=local" sAMAccountName

 I get a list of the users in the AllowedUsers OU so it looks like I can
query the LDAP server. However when I try and translate this to the
preferences.php file I get:

> LDAP Error: Unable to connect to any of the LDAP servers; could not
> authenticate user.
> Authentication Error: The username or password was incorrect.

I currently have both LDAP and AD active in the preference.php file to see
if I could get either to work which is why I assume I am getting two error
messages.

Can someone help me determine what information goes in which field based on
this search string? One other thing to note. While the users that will be
logging in the base dn
"ou=AllowedUsers,ou=Users,ou=MyBusiness,dc=<domain>,dc=local" the
LDAP at domain.local account with lookup permissions in in a different base dn
"ou=Users,dc=<domain>,dc=local".

Thanks for any/all help!

- Craig