[ZendTo] Re: Simple encryption method

Andy Newton a.m.newton at soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 15:38:31 BST 2011

Depends what the requirement is really - it'll stop the data being
snooped in transit to and from the server, but if the data is somehow
sensitive it's probably worth encrypting it before uploading (that way
if an attacker or rogue sysadmin starts poking through your sensitive
dropoffs, they won't get anything useful - ditto if somebody uncovers a
vulnerability in ZendTo which allows them to grab other users' dropoffs,
or a variety of other scenarios).

I can think of two main issues with encrypting the file client-side:

1) The recipient needs to be able to decrypt it (so whatever encryption
software you use probably needs to have some mechanism for key distribution)
2) You won't be able to virus scan it server side (which you may or may
not care about)

Encrypting the file at the server end may not be worth it; if somebody
can get at the file itself, most likely there's a way for them to find
the encryption key too (especially if they're the sysadmin).

There's probably a load of other fun and exciting stuff to think about
that I've forgotten - and of course it all depends on the requirements :-)

Cheers,

Andy Newton
Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, UK