[ZendTo] Re: Possibility of a Library

Jules Jules at Zend.To
Tue Dec 6 10:29:36 GMT 2011

All sounds great. However I'm really busy with my day job at the moment,
so don't have much time for implementing new stuff like this. It would
take a fair bit of work, it's not a trivial request.

Would you still allow user uploads? Or would the ZendTo server for this
service be dedicated to it? If so, we could replace the upload process
with a pick-a-file-from-a-list instead. But that would need major
changes to the data structures and database too, as you wouldn't have a
fresh copy of the file for each drop-off, you would just pick a file
from an existing set.

This would be quite a major project.

Jules.

On 06/12/2011 07:19, Nigel Kendrick wrote:

> I think that's a great idea as we need to make firmware patches and
> software updates available on an adhoc basis. I would go further and
> allow local users to flag an upload as having a specific expiry date
> and also have a 'does not expire' tick box.
>
> On Dec 6, 2011 3:53 AM, "Julian Adler" <Julian.Adler at vectra-corp.com
> <mailto:Julian.Adler at vectra-corp.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Jules,
>

>     I have just started setting up a Zend.to box and have it all
>     working well! Fantastic work!
>

>     I was considering our requirements and one thing that we come
>     across frequently is the need to send the same file to lots of
>     people. Not necessarily at the same time like a multiple drop off.
>     And I was thinking that an admin run library of "official files"
>     that any user could create a new drop off for would be a really
>     nifty way of achieving this. A critical distinction between the
>     multiple dropoff and a library use is the different dropoff codes
>     for each user entered instead of a single code for a multiple.
>     This would allow the tracking of each request for pickup
>     individually. The created dropoff shoudl expire with the regular
>     timeframe.
>

>     For example an IT company has a pre-confiured remote support
>     program that they send to a user when they need remote help, this
>     file is the same for everyone. At the moment a new request needs
>     to be created and the file dropped off everytime. This same
>     scenario with a library the user would login, select the library
>     and then create a new dropoff with the clients email of the file
>     from the library. The original file is stored on the Zend.to box
>     and is not subject to manipulation except by administrators.
>

>     Cheers
>
>     Jules
>

>     Regards
>     Julian Adler

'It's okay to live without all the answers' - Charlie Eppes, 2011
'That is the land of lost content,
  I see it shining plain,
  The happy highways where I went,
  And cannot come again.' - A.E. Houseman