[ZendTo] SSL Setup on Centos

Brad Beckenhauer bbecken at aafp.org
Thu Sep 9 23:02:23 BST 2010

Running Zendto 3.62-1 64bit Centos

I got a SBS SSL cert from BulkRegister and followed the "Setting Up an SSL Website" instructions on the Zendto Website.

I tested both http and https and no errors and the cert was valid

I then put in the "Redirect Permanent" in the httpd.conf file and restarted apache and cleared the cache on my browser (Firefox) and restarted the browser.

I then opened firefox and went the to http:// site and the firefox gave me this error message:

<snip>
The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

            *   This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

</snip>

I then opened the browser and went the to https:// site and the browser got the same error message.  I also tried IE 8 with the same results.

I double and triple checked every setting and finally disabled the "Redirect Permanent" in the httpd.conf file, restarted apache and cleared the cache on my Browsers.

Manually browsing to http and https worked fine.

I did some internet searching and finally found the below website.

http://marzoa.com/2009/03/03/redirect-from-http-to-https-ssl-on-same-server/

My solution based on the above URL:
in the httpd.conf file.
Do no use the "Redirect Permanent" statement.

in the file: /etc/apache/conf/httpd..conf

At the bottom of the file add these four lines.
<note: there may be a better location for these lines

# Force http redirect to https
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
RewriteRule (.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI}

restart apache and http to https redirection now works perfectly.

-Brad